Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Back to Sicilia

Hey guys!

I'm currently typing this email out on my iPad while sitting in the Questura of Ragusa, Sicilia. Yeah, Ragusa was the last city I was assigned to before Roma, but I'm fortunate enough to be back for a short little visit 😉

In Italy, us foreigners have to obtain something called a Permesso di Soggiorno. It's not very fun. It's pretty much a green card. Anyway, it's a long drawn out process, and when I got a new missionary as my comp in March, he had to start his, and I had to renew mine. But since it's Sicily, they scheduled our fingerprint appointments for June 13th lol 3 months later. So, here I am with my boy Anziano Perfili in the good old Ragusa just grindin' for that permesso. I flew in from Rome to Catania on Sunday and landed at 12pm, but there was no bus to Ragusa until 3, so we waited for just about 3 hours for a bus to get to Ragusa. 

When we (me and Anziano Nielsen) arrived to Ragusa, my home slice Antonio Lo Monaco, our Ward Mission Leader in Ragusa, came and picked us up from the station :)) love that guy so much. And with us were some homies Lorena and Paola. Paola is a good friend of a member, Lorena, and is actually currently learning more about our church and what we're all about. So the plan was that we meet up at the church with my boys Anziano Perfili and Clasby and teach a lesson with Noemi and her mom. But things came up and duty called, so we only had 15 minutes together to say hi/bye and then we left to Comiso, a nearby city 25 mins away in car, and dropped off Lorena and her dope friend Paola, and I saluted her fam as well. Then we went with Lo Monaco to the hospital in Comiso, where Giuseppe currently finds himself. (Yes, Giuseppe is the guy who had a heart attack and a stroke within 3 weeks). When we arrived, he honestly was worse than ever, in every way. It was hard. We sat down and talked. I didn't really have much to say actually and a lot of time was just spent listening. We weren't even supposed to be there cuz it wasn't visiting hours, but he told them I came down from Rome and it's a special situation, they let us in. At the end of our conversation, I tried to think of what I could see to boost his morale and help him be happy again. The only thing I could think of was The Book of Mormon. I knew for sure that's what he needed. I asked him if he had the book with him in the hospital, and he said no. After telling him how much it would change his circumstances emotionally, spiritually, and even physically, he interrupted my testimony by calling his wife and asking her to bring him his Book of Mormon from the house as soon as she could. It was so awesome. Just reflecting on what this book has done for me, I couldn't help but recommend it for someone else who needs it. It gives me answers to questions I didn't even know I had, and makes me realize that there's a whole new level of happiness and knowledge just waiting out there for me or anyone else who wants it.

In Rome we haven't had the most "success" I guess. We've been teaching some cool people and trying our best to help them prepare to make some promises with God, but they just simply aren't ready. It kinda stinks cuz that's literally why we're out here in the first place, but maybe today just isn't their day.

I also had the opportunity to see some homies this week from America!! :) on Friday, I saw my boy Dalton and it was so sick!! Haven't seen him since I left (duh) and he's changed a bunch! He's super YOLKED now!! But he's taken, so ladies, don't even think about it. We had a good time catching up and walking around Rome and gettin some bomb gelato near the Trevi Fountain. Then on Saturday the Toelkes family met up with me and my comp for some din-din!! 😌 good stuff. It was soo nice to see such good friends from back home out here in Italy. Surprisingly, none of it made me trunky at all and I'm still not ready to go home in 6 months...which btw I'm not 100% sure yet but I might end up extending my mission a transfer and come home February...not sure yet. Anyway...

We're as busy as ever these days and got a lot to do this week. We fly back in to Rome tomorrow (Tuesday)at 7:40am and will start our miserably tired week packed full of stuff, including organizing our zone conference and preparing a training that we gotta do. Wish me luck :')

We also had a scare today (Monday) in Ragusa. I did all my stuff to renew my permesso, we were just waiting on the final step, and then they all of the sudden tell me that I have to come back Wednesday or Friday to do it...hah. I was like nah fam I live in Rome and I gotta go back tomorrow. I got stuff to do, I ain't comin back for this!!! Long story short, the straight up homie, Lo Moncaco, calls some friends, says some things...and next thing you know they let me do it right before our bus ride back to Catania!! Oh and btw we had some bomb lunch at his house as well. Interesting "p-day."

Now we're currently on the bus to Catania where we will sleep tonight and then wake up around 4am for our flight tomorrow 😊😅

Well, that's all I got for this week. Talk to you all soon!

Anziano Carter Blaise

00169 Roma, RM

Inviato da iPad

Walking to an appointment in Rome

"Tbt when we got soaked in the rain"

Tbt squad

"Tbt cookin"

"Tbt..Thank you to everyone for this birthday wish!"

"A little study for our Columbian investigator"

"Tbt Giuseppe and Paola"


My friends from America...The Toelkes 

Yummy dinner with the Toelkes

Gelato with the Toelkes

Gelato with the Toelkes

No comments:

Post a Comment